[OM] Re: Quick Digital Camera Question/now scanner and insects

Subject: [OM] Re: Quick Digital Camera Question/now scanner and insects
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 01:20:27 -0700
Richard  is still learning his 3170, so further reports from the front
may be forthcoming.

It seems that the Epson flatbeds do not deliver detail resolution in
film scans to match dedicated film scanners with the same dpi spec. It
seems likely the 3170 is in effect closer to 2000 than 3200 dpi. That's
not bad for a lot of uses and that general series of Epsons is about the
only reasonably priced game in town for MF film. It seems to do well
with color balance, etc. based on Richard's posted samples.

Here's an individual's review of the 3170
<http://personal.inet.fi/private/luukkanen/3170_review.html>. Lots of
sample images and useful info.

I'm thinking about getting one to do proof scans of rolls of negs and
for MF. They certaainly can be reasonable, at least in the states, there
is a $25 rebate to the end of the month and Amazon is selling them for
$173. Then if you sign up for an Amazon Mastercard and buy the scanner
with it, you get another $30 off, bringing the price down to about $118,
and the shipping is free.

Then there is the newer 4180, neatly priced at about half the price of a
4870, but with the 4800 dpi resolution spec
<http://www.biosmagazine.co.uk/rev.php?id=179>.

Moose