[OM] Re: Stacked TCs

Subject: [OM] Re: Stacked TCs
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 08:08:16 -0700
Sorry mouse slipped ...

Thanks for the suggestion however a former list member compared the Tamron
2x against an Olympus 2x on the Tamron 400 f4. The Olympus had better detail
in the shadows and I believe better resolution. Gary's tests indicate just
the reverse I need to do some careful testing, but my quick impressions were
that the 2x  on the Tamron 400 was noticeably "weak" compared to the 1.4x. I
wouldn't hesitate to use the 1.4x. I suspect enlarging an image taken with
the 1.4x would probably be slightly better than an image taken with the 2x.
Gary's tests indicate the 1.4x looses some of the image quality. I haven't
noticed it.

IRRC jnm had also tried some of the long "generic" telephoto's and liked the
stacked TC's more. I'm looking for an alternative to the CATs. It doesn't
appear anyone has found a killer combination.

-jeff