[OM] Re: Canon D20

Subject: [OM] Re: Canon D20
From: "IanG" <I@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:19:15 -0000
Its like AA.... I have a C*n*n and I'm {insert word or phrase} of it.

I'd have loved to go for the E1 and the idea of a digital system designed
from the ground; I think Olympus made a super job with the E1 but........

If size and weight is a major issue go for the E1. If established market /
format / residual value is an issue it is a no brainer to go for the C*n*n.
If you intent to continue to use film with your digital glass then you can
always get a body to go with your C*n*n lenses whereas I doubt there will be
a film body for E1 glass.

For performance perhaps consider long term objectives. Maybe the E1 / 20D
performances are relatively matched (although at high ISO the 20D is a clear
winner) but with the C*n*n you already have a clear and proven upgrade path
- 1D2 or 1Ds2. Used 1Ds bodies are now hitting the market at very reasonable
prices (proving that there is residual value in the C*n*n).

Staying with residual values, when you come to upgrade to the E3 or 4 you
will find there is nobody to buy your used E1 body - who is going to want a
used body with no glass?

One factor that had a major influence on my decision is that my friends have
C*n*n kit and we pool this. I don't know anybody with the E1 system.

Finally remember that Olympus totally ditched us OM users without a single
qualm and made absolutely no concession to us with the introduction of the
E1. Neither C*n*n nor N*k*n have done that to their loyal customer base.

I love my OMs and I can give up any time...............