[OM] A Stupid Question (on topic, kinda)

Subject: [OM] A Stupid Question (on topic, kinda)
From: "Alienspecimen" <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:35:32 -0500 (EST)

Actually I have a couple of questions, but later on that...How dirty and how do
you clean the digital sensors on your cameras?

Reason I am aksking is, because I would like to finally own a digital SLR.  I
am sick and tired of the never ending quest for keeping the dust away from
canera and film, but I am not sure I see anything that would suit me.
I would like to get a camera recommendation based on my shooting style.  Here
is what's important to me:
I live about 200yards from the sea (200m).  The UV filter that protects the
lens fogs up just after 15 mins of walk around with the camera in hand.  The
wind breeze is like a wall, you always feel its presence.
I often go to the mountains, where the conditions are not as extreme, but I
often find myself shooting in high winds, almost capable of taking me up in the
sky like a kite.
This is why I like zooms, anytime I open the camera to change lens or film,
lots of stuff gets in it...I am sure the E1 would do superb job keeping the
dust and grit out, but not sure about what happens at sea level...I never
bothered upgrading my tripod, because would be afraid to take in the water...
I go to very cold places, in one instance my film shattered inside the camera.
I never go to hot places, to me temps of 86F/30C and above are extreme and I
stay by the a/c (and whine), so heat wont be a problem.
My objects don't move much, I don't care about people and especially studio
photography.  I don't care about flash either, the only time when I use it is
when the camera is on B and I walk around and discharge it several times.  So
frames/sec, sync speed, fast AF, fast shutter speed etc. are not that important
to me at all.
This is why the OM1 MD has worked for me (not the OM PC I still keep
though...).
So, to you digital gurus, would you be able to keep good sensor hygiene if you
were to shoot in extreme conditions as I do?  And...can you recommend a DSLR to
complement my OM1, coz I don't see it.  I intend to spend around $1500 or less.
Thanks in advance
Boris
P.S.  I considered the Minolta A2 and the likes, but 28mm is not wide enough
for me...but I could be happy with 24mm...
P.P.S  Size does not matter, no matter what they tell you...maybe in 30-40
years, but not now.

Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com