[OM] Re: sheet film processing

Subject: [OM] Re: sheet film processing
From: BllPear@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 18:44:48 -0500
When processing sheet film was a part of my job, I used deep tanks. We had the
8x10 size, where the racks would hold 4 4x5 sheets, but there are also smaller
tanks and racks that hold a single 4x5 sheet. At that time, we used replenished
D-76. If I were going back into 4x5, I would do the same for my B&W. (yes, we
had E-4 and C-22 lines, but home color requires a fair amount of film to be
both consistent and economical.)

Consider this: When one shoots 4x5, the number of sheets shot is usually small.
You won't be shooting 36 sheets in a day. Here's what I would do.

What kind of B&W work do you anticipate? If going into the zone system, you
really must soup your own. You can get used deep tanks and racks for not much
more than a single tank for a machine. Set it up with Xtol replenished, and
have fun.

For color, find a good lab with a dip-and-dunk line for C-41 and E-6. (By now,
you probably all know what I think of home color processing)For as few sheets
are you will likely shoot in a month, you will both save money, and produce
consistent, repeatable results, something that is nearly impossible with
one-shot color processing. If you're like me and live where there's a good pro
lab that also has a dip-and-dunk B&W line, let them do that, too, unless of
course using zone system.

Bill Pearce

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.