[OM] Re: Kyocera Dumps Cameras

Subject: [OM] Re: Kyocera Dumps Cameras
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 19:08:45 -0700
My memory is a little fuzzy but as I recall, Sony developed both the Beta
and VHS formats and held patents on both. They were not doing much to
promote the VHS format and Matsushita stole it and promoted the hell out of
it to the point where it captured the major market share. Sony sued and was
awarded a large settlement but Matsushita came out way ahead on the deal and
the Beta died. I have some good Beta tapes and no working player. I much
preferred the Beta format. /jmac