[OM] Re: ?? Mid-tele zoom w/49mm filters??

Subject: [OM] Re: ?? Mid-tele zoom w/49mm filters??
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 14:37:50 +1200
John Lind wrote

> Wish I could help you more beyond a recommendation to avoid the 75-150/4 S
> Zuiko.  The non-rotating front element is a tough requirement for a zoom
> lens.
> Eliminating those doesn't leave very many and wanting a 49mm filter ring
> causes
> me to wonder if there are any other than the S Zuiko that meet all the
> criteria.

The Zuiko 100-200 f/5 is also an "S" lens.  The front element rotates on
focusing but not on zooming.  It is distinguished also by being a rather
delicate lens; apparently the lens elements are held in plastic mounts and I
know for a fact that it doesn't take much of a jar to dislodge/ unsettle them.
The upside of this, according to the person who once serviced my  OM gear,
is that they are easy to reassemble, and the plastic mounts do not deform
like metal mounts can.

Brian