[OM] When old is new again

Subject: [OM] When old is new again
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 13:46:53 -0700 (PDT)
A couple weeks ago I had a flash go "poof" on me.  Well, after
much nashing of teeth I contemplated getting one of those nifty
dedicated flashes for the E-1.  Nice features, power and quick
recycling.  Really impressive box.

However, really expensive too.  And it doesn't work with any of
my other cameras.  Hmmm.

I looked at multiple flash options and really wondered what
would be the best direction to go.  In the long run I know that
the dedicated flash is the way to go, but not quite yet.  Not
until I can pick up one for a reasonable price.

A flash that got my attention was the Sunpak 120J parabolic
reflector flash. Just like the Quantum version, these produce a
very pleasing light for wedding and portrait work.  Yet two
things made me a little nervous--price and solidness.

I did my homework and decided to visit the local store. They had
a brand new Vivitar 283 as well as the 285HV.  I've owned the
285HV previously so I needed no convincing. For some reason the
283 called to me.  It's just a little bit more compact.  I also
bought a Lumiquest Ultrabounce diffuser.  Best part is that I
got out of the store with brand new equipment for under a
C-Note.  Try that with anything else with any semplence of
oomph.

Well, what about the results?  Awesome.  I've used various
bounce mechanisms and softbox diffusers for years, but always
had a noticable light falloff, With the ultrabounce, which is a
light-dome I'm getting smooth lighting, yet just enough edge to
give the image sparkle.

Compared to today's dedicated uberflashes with variable ratios
and all that jazz, the 283 is as brain-dead as they come. But we
must remember that they were the professional workhorse for an
entire generation.  Yes, it ain't perfect and I'll be keeping an
eye open for a bargain E-system flash.

AG

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html