[OM] Re: Best guess for arrival of E-2/E-3

Subject: [OM] Re: Best guess for arrival of E-2/E-3
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 13:46:50 -0300
On 7/22/05, Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The way I understand it is that all printer hardware requires a
> certain native resolution and that their drivers will resize the
> image, automatically and unseen, to that resolution before sending to
> the printer. It is separate from any adjustments in Photoshop. Low
> resolution, and the driver upsizes and high resolution it downsizes.
> If you are going to let the printer driver do this then the best
> results are obtained if it receives an image with a resolution that
> is an even factor of the native. For instance with an Epson printer
> which is supposed to have a 360dpi native resolution what you should
> give it is that or 180 dpi or 120 or 90, with the image dimensions
> specified in the printer dialogue, for the driver to do its best job
> preparing the file for the printer hardware.
>
> That said, a driver is a little program thrown in for free. Resizing
> to its native resolution is best done in something more capable like
> Photoshop before you print. All this stuff is a little like casting
> runes though.

Yes, different printers have different native resolutions but this is
in terms of ppi once again, not the dpi of the printer and can be
different (for instance, the Epson printers still seem to prefer
360ppi but the print resolution may be as high as 5760dpi). Granted,
where the Agfa prints continuous tone I'd imagine that it's native
resolution would be the same as its print resolution.