[OM] Re: Telecentricity

Subject: [OM] Re: Telecentricity
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 21:26:48 -0600
I worked in the timber in the late 50's and there was a Swiss company there
with a high-line outfit for logging very steep mountains where it was not
feasible to build roads. I got to know several of those guys and really
liked them. They were all German Swiss except for one Frenchman they called
Louis. They were small people about 5 feet 6 inches tall but were very tough
and worked very hard. They considered their foreman a giant as he was about
six feet tall with long jet black hair that he combed straight back. His
name is the only one I remember, Johan Nasdig. None of them spoke any
English and it was fun to watch their local language skills develop. Their
first words were "LuckyLagerSumbitch" and "OlyGoddamit" and it got worse
from there. Several of them invited me to visit them in Switzerland when I
got out of school but I never was able to do it. I wish I had some pictures
of the highline outfit as it was a beautiful setup. I rode up the mountain
on it one day and it was the scariest thing I ever did. Johan put a stick in
the hook and he sat on one side and I on the other. He weighed more so I had
to sit out further to make it balance. We were going like hell and were
about 400 feet off the ground at one point. Once was enough. I was pretty
drunk when we started and was very sober when we got to the top. Neither
OSHA or my Mother would have approved. I really regret that I didn't have a
better camera setup when I was there. My little Kodak Pony 35 just wasn't up
to the task most of the time. /jmac