[OM] Re: OT: Internet support - was Re: Re: [OT] A sincere apology -- so

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Internet support - was Re: Re: [OT] A sincere apology -- sort of.
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 20:56:14 -0300
On 9/9/05, Piers Hemy <piers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Tech support?
>
> I came across this only yesterday - forgive me if the stories are
> well-known, they are certainly not new.  But there are some salutary
> lessons.
>
> http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/misc/TechSupport.html

Yep, heard a lot of these before. The thing is that these types of
stories are funny to people who haven't had to work tech support
because they can't believe that you'd get such stupid problems. Once
you've worked tech support you know that these stories are all too
true. The thing is that most of the time you're just dealing with run
of the mill stupidity or frustrating situations, not the funny
situations you hear about on-line. Funny tech support stories are
actually fairly rare, which is why you hear the same ones so
frequently. More common are the baffling stories that the more you try
to think about it the more your head hurts.

Here's a good example of one of those. One of the guys I used to work
with got this call (he routinely got the weirdest calls and our only
conclusion was that his calls actually came from another dimension):

"Hi, I just bought a portable band saw and I was wondering if you
could help me out with it?"
"Excuse me?"
"I need help with my portable band saw."
"Um, this is Internet technical support."
"Yes, I know"
"And you need help with your portable band saw?"
"Yes, that's right."
"Well I can only help you with Internet problems."
"Oh, OK, thanks anyways."

I have yet to come up with any reasonable explanation for why you
would think to call Internet support for help with a portable band
saw.