[OM] Re: Projector advice sought

Subject: [OM] Re: Projector advice sought
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:02:53 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Simon Worby wrote:

> I could do with suggestions for a new projector; I can buy off eBay, but
> there doesn't seem to be much about. It's critical that I can get trays
> and/or carousels for it (I'd actually prefer trays). I understand there
> are "standard trays" but I'm not sufficiently familiar with the things to
> know the details.

The European standard is a 40 slot straight tray and is used by many
manufacturers such as Leica and Kinderman.  There is also an LKM type tray
which holds 80 slides but you need to make sure you get an LKM compatible
projector for those trays.  I prefer the LKM trays over all other trays
as it's very space efficient, it can hold 160 slides in something the size
of a shoebox. LKM trays are also still being manufactured

> Has anyone got any suggestions: should I just buy new, for example? What
> sort of money do I need to spend to get a decent auto-focus projector?
> (The Reflecta cost me about £50 with the 4 carousels, inc. delivery.)
> Is Leitz worth the money?

Buying used is probably your best bet as there are some great deals out there
right now.  I'd look for a Leica P600 or P2002 as they're built like a tank
and will easily last for several decades.  eBay Germany usually has a number
of them listed.  For Leica projectors you'll want to get either a Colorplan
or Super Colorplan lens.  Unfortunatly the projector and lens will cost you
much more than £50, probably more in the £200 range, but you'll have one of
the best 35mm slide projectors ever built.
                                                        -mark