[OM] Re: This Resolution Business

Subject: [OM] Re: This Resolution Business
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:54:29 +0000
Well, it would appear that I once again have shown my ignorance by posting a
response in this thread.  I hereby solemnly vow forever never to comment on
anything digitally technical -- or technically digital, or whatever.  I
obviously don't know my ass from a pixel.

I'm an old retro fart playing with this digital stuff, having scanners and
printers and software, and even an E-Thing, but it may all be more than I'm
willing to tax my tired old brain for in order to figure out all the technical
BS.  I haven't picked up the E-Thing in two weeks, but I'm steadily depleting
the 150-plus rolls of 35mm and 120 film in the fridge, not to mention using up
a box and a half of sheet film.

In the last several months, I have bought some books on this digital stuff:
Mastering Digital Scanning, Mastering Digital SLR Photography, Mastering
Digital Printing, and the Epson Complete Guide to Digital Printing.  It's a
damn shame that paying for them ain't enough and that now I've got to actually
read them.  Snore!  I've thumbed through them all, looked at the pictures, read
most of the captions under the pictures, even a paragraph of solid text here
and there, and they are bor-r-r-ring.  So, they're on the shelf, appropriately
and respectfully separated from the real photo books, like Ansel Adams' The
Camera, The Negative, The Print, The Making of 40 Photographs, et al.

Perhaps later this year, as the harsh and cruel Atlanta winter sets in, when
temperatures sometimes plunge into the mid-20's and frost forms on our
windshields, not melting until well after breakfast, I may, while I am confined
to the shack by such inclement weather, find the time to study these weighty
tomes.  Perhaps after I've braved the frigid elements to fetch the morning
paper, have taken off my fleece-lined jeans, down parka, mittens, and mad
bomber's hat, I can stoke up the fire a bit, start a second pot of Chock full
O? Nuts, wrap my shawl about my aging and scrawny shoulders, settle down in the
recliner, and attempt to educate myself, at least to the point where I know
enough to know I don't know enough to think I know enough to mistakenly say I
know anything at all.

Enough said.  Excuse my ignorance.  Like my granddaddy used to say, "It's
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and
remove all doubt."  He also would occasionally say, as he let his coat fall
open just enough so that the handle of his hogleg was visible, to inform
someone who seemed to need to know, "You don?t halfway know who you're foolin'
with."

Nobody ever fooled with my granddaddy.  He was no fool.  Wish I could say the
same for myself.  So, go ahead; it's okay to fool with a fool -- as long as
you're not close enough to see the handle.  :-)

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --