[OM] Re: Film users: Questions on Bronica SQ-A camera / other 6x6 c

Subject: [OM] Re: Film users: Questions on Bronica SQ-A camera / other 6x6 cameras???
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 15:20:39 +0100 (BST)

> I was also a Bronica SQ-A system user, with three lenses and a prism
> finder.
> I bought it used and never see or heard any film back problem. I didn't
> use
> it much but we camera fans here were just talk more than shoot so I also
> know a little about camera system. The Hass was a system that know to be
> having many issues with film back especially with matching serial number
> between back and body, light leak is another problem that I heard but I
> have
> never use one.
>
> The price of Hass is much higher than Bronica, a basic one lens set can
> almost buy a three lenses set Bronica here (both used) but I believe the
> lens quality of Hass will be better.
>
> C.H.Ling

I could afford a second hand hassy body but the wides even second hand are
just too much for me to even dream about

I have recently brought the 6x4.5 bronica etrsi, what attracted me was
the low second hand prices in KEH for the gear,
the 100-220 zoom ( I don't use telephoto enough to justify the weight or
expense of carying round lots of long primes when I can cary around lots
of prime wides...
the wide angle lenses go down to 25mm in 35mm equivelent
reasonably light with interchangable film backs.
shutter speed selectable down to 8 seconds
pe lenses have half stops on the appatures and most are 62mm thread
105 pe macro goes down to 1:1 (rare for a medium format macro lens)

the only things I don't like are
1. the mirror lock up egonomics are clunky and not easy to unlock up the
mirror without taking a shoot
2. the aeIII finder only has a memory lock for only 1 minute
3. its not got otf metering
4. aeIII display is not a simplt and intuitive as the om3/4 series

I could not see much advantage to going 6x6 since I would need to crop
anyway to get to a normal aspect ratio but would get less shots on a roll
compared to a 4.5x6 and pay the price interms of weight and lens cost. The
100-220 is also not available for the sq series.

my 0.02 pounds worth
James