[OM] Re: Shots again the E-500

Subject: [OM] Re: Shots again the E-500
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 16:10:42 -0700
usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:

>>-jeff I hope they come out with 12+ MP in the spring though. They
>>seem to have the lens lineup covered very nicely. A boost in pixels
>>and low noise ISO speed will put them in a good position.
>>

>---------------------------------------
>
>Boosting the number of pixels is very easy.  Reducing noise is not.
>Perhaps Kodak and IBM together will come up with a CMOS solution.
>
>Chuck Norcutt
>

>Ditto,
>The smaller pixel size with the current 4/3 sensors are intrinsically noisier.
> Each lens has a small DSP.  I hope they can process there way out of the
>noise issue.

They need to deal with Fuji, for sensors or technology. The sensors in
the new Super CCD HR sensor in the F10/F11 are at roughly half the
pitch, 1/4 the size, of those in the E-300/500, yet have very low noise
at iso 400 and low noise at 800. How much is the sensor and how much the
"'Real Photo Processor", I don't have any idea. What I do know is that
it shows that there is still a lot of room for improvement in the noise
to pixel size relationship. If what they have done is scalable up to
4/3" with a matching decline in noise, that 12+ mp 4/3 sensor with low
noise at high iso, is possible.

Moose