[OM] Re: OM-4 + Winder 2 Fun

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-4 + Winder 2 Fun
From: Philip Pemberton <philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 18:56:20 GMT
In message <012101c5e492$c7f4e240$1f78e304@pcs>
          "PhotoSphere Olympus Camera Service" <olyfix@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The slot in the bottom of the winders is too narrow for the OM-2s/3/4, etc.
> MD caps.  Once you have the cap out, you might try shaving the "lips" on
> either side down about half way with an X-acto-type knife -- that way, it
> will take old and new MD caps.

Right, I've managed to lever it out with a pair of long-handle tweezers. I'll
see if I can shave down the slot a little in a minute.

> If you're storing for any duration, best to just remove the batteries,
> especially from your winder, not just the body.  The batteries in the winder
> will bend the tray until it stops making good contact.  And avoid excessive
> heat -- I suspect that's the cause for LCD fading.

Right, I'll remember that. I'm planning to build up a 6V external battery
pack for it anyway - AA NiMHs don't last very long for some reason (probably
self-discharge). I've got some Lithium Ion cells here, and a 6V power
converter board for them. I reckon two amp-hours should be enough to get some
decent runtime out of the Winder.

Later.
--
Phil.                              | Acorn RiscPC600 SA220 64MB+6GB 100baseT
philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx              | Athlon64 3200+ A8VDeluxe R2 512MB+100GB