[OM] Re: Oly Woes

Subject: [OM] Re: Oly Woes
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:40:33 -0800
ScottGee1 wrote:

>Moose, do you not use their printing service because you print at
>home?

Yes. I was printing at home before all those services became available
at such places.

>Or were you not satisfied with the results?

Never tried them.

>I simply cannot print as well at home as their very expensive system

I have no idea about that. I can make prints that please me a great
deal. They are SO much better than anything I ever got from commercial
prints. Of course, I didn't have the money for true custom prints, but
from what I've seen and what pros on this list have said, it seems that
home printing can meet or beat those.

Certainly AG has stated clearly that he has made prints on hs S9000 that
are just flat better than anything before. I have a friend who sells
absolutely wonderful Ilfochrome prints of his images of Petroglyphs that
used to make me almost despair of my own work. Now I may not be the
photographer he is, but I think my prints are as good. They aren't as
archival with my 'old" Epson 1270, but that will change in the not too
distant future.

>so I either FTP or directly upload files in the store.  They even
>provide a link to a company that has ICC profiles for every one of
>their locations.

I understand the process. I've just never tried it. Partly because I
already have a process I like. Partly because I don't go to Costco very
often. I'm still with the idea of buy in bulk, so I don't need to be
there often, certainly less than once a month. Also, although not really
far away, it's about 20 minutes each way, parking hassles and long
checkout lines. Doesn't seem conducive to just running down to pick up a
couple of prints. Especially when I can just send them to the printer
here and not have to go out at all.

>That, in itself, would be enough of an incentive to do business with
>them.  Throw in that their prices are very low and they get the
>majority of my printing business.

Well, I not only don't know what their prices are, I don't really know
what mine are. I've figured it out a couple of times, but tend to
forget. Depends on what paper I use, too.

>As for scanning, I expressed my dissatisfaction with that in this
>forum a couple days ago.  :)

Indeed. And yet I do my own scanning for the simple reason that I don't
know where to get equal quality at a reasonable price. I'm quite happy
with the quality of scans I'm getting, esp. with films I've created ICC
profiles for. Many of those are ready to go right out of the scanner.
Fortunately, I spend enough time on the computer that I can just feed
film into the scanner every so often and let it do it's thing while I do
other things.

Moose