[OM] Re: OT Mammatus clouds

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Mammatus clouds
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 09:52:40 -0800 (PST)
> Just when you think you have seen it all something new pops up
> that millions of other are familiar with. I have never seen
> them either.
> Never lived in tornado country though. And only experienced
> one hurricane.

I've never seen them THAT spectacular, but they aren't all that
unusual.  I hate it, though, when they're bile colored!  As to
tornados, we were playing dodgeball with them here on Saturday.
We were watching them LIVE on television hit the town of
Woodward.  A TV station here has something called "Schoolnet"
and has live webcams positioned in about a hundred towns around
the state.  They rotated the remote control camera towards the
approaching tornado and put it live on the air.  Bizaar seeing a
town destroyed in real-time--meanwhile the weatherman is yelling
"get to the basement NOW!  And I mean NOW!"

The quote of the day came from a bubba that lived about 200'
from the storm track.  "It sucked the leaves right out of my
yard."

Most of us around here take severe weather seriously.  Some
people "chase" storms, the rest of us like to know when we're
being chased by those storms.  My darkroom is also my storm
shelter.  In the past seven years we've run for cover three
times.  One time we got hit by 120 mph winds (while the
simultaneous tornado passed through one neighborhood away) and
the house made cracking noises that I never knew were possible.
Meanwhile a laptop computer tuned to various weather sources
kept us informed of where the tornado was, and what else was
happening.  The train sound was on full.  We knew it was time to
hit the basement when a transformer just to our southwest
exploded and lit up the funnel cloud.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com