[OM] Re: Manufacturers tests published, of their own lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: Manufacturers tests published, of their own lenses
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 14:54:50 -0500
If you read a lot of end user lens test/experience forums you see lots
of reports of bad samples in all brands.  Much of it is autofocus
problems but there is a fair amount of what sounds like mis-aligned lens
elements. Things like: image not sharp in upper left quadrant or some
such.  I suspect the Japanese are having a lot of QC problems with lens
and camera production farmed out to China and elsewhere.

I've never had any particular qualms about buying a used 1980's lens
from ebay or elsewhere.  I'm not so sure I'd buy a used DSLR lens.  But
I'd still be pretty PO'd if, after buying a new super duper something or
other it disappeared for six weeks of fresh air and sunshine treatment
back with the manufacturer in order to make it focus properly.

Chuck Norcutt