[OM] Re: 4/3 fragment of my day

Subject: [OM] Re: 4/3 fragment of my day
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 07:34:55 -0700 (PDT)
Cool shot. I love the colors and the lines.

> http://myweb.uiowa.edu/jfwilcox/day/day61.html

...insert pause....

This is by no means a criticism, but I am totally puzzled. The
use of the rule of fifths (or whatever else you want to call it)
should provide for a strong, pleasing composition, but for some
reason the ratio is disturbing to my eyes in this specific
photo. I can't figure out why, since it should work just fine.
When you play by the rules (and this one does) the results
should be guaranteed.  It may be "correct" but the picture makes
me nervous.

...insert another pause...

Ok, I think I know what's going on. The center triangular black
column is the primary subject. It goes up nearly to the top of
the frame, but isn't "anchored" at the bottom. The picture is
too weighty at the top and wants to tip over.  I tried cropping
off about half the water, which helped this aspect, but screwed
up the rest of the composition.

If I'm all wet on this one, it's probably because I'm still a
bit queezy from a severe case of the stomach flu. Maybe I'm just
suffering from dizziness when looking at the photo.

Carry on.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com