[OM] Re: E-500 or E-1 - (5D dust)

Subject: [OM] Re: E-500 or E-1 - (5D dust)
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 10:20:50 -0400
At 06:34 AM 4/9/2006, Chuck wrote:
>Do you have recommendations for a CO2 duster?.  A quick check of sources
>showed an amazing price range.  I've never used such a device.  In fact,
>I've never used any CO2 cartridge except as a kid to power model
>gliders.  I recall that they used to get ice cold and condense frost all
>over.
>
>Might this high pressure cause problems by blowing the dust into the
>pentaprism area or is this fairly well sealed with the screen in place?

I purchased the CO2 duster from American Recorder ($22) and an
extra 6 pack of CO2 ($9). This duster seems to have a good control
on the air pressure release, so you can be very light. It may also have
some other high pressure limiting. I can let out very light amounts.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/sensor-cleaning.shtml

When spraying into the mirror box chamber, the mirror is up and
looks to provide a good seal, so at the light pressure I use I don't think
it would be a problem. I forget if the E-1 has a way to hold the mirror
up and shutter open without holding the shutter button in B? The
5D has a custom function to clean the sensor, by locking the mirror
up and shutter open for cleaning.

This CO2 duster does get cold if you spray too much at a time. Normally
I don't need to release that much air. The housing has vent holes and
the heat of the palm of your hand helps. They recommend you check
for condensation before using. I have not had any problems yet I trust
this thing a lot more than any other compressed air I have used,
which also tends to spray other propellants. CO2 has no other
propellant and seems very clean.

The only problems I have had have been some dust near the edges of
the sensor.

WayneS