[OM] Re: Still cool, but the funk lingers

Subject: [OM] Re: Still cool, but the funk lingers
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 10:28:08 -0700 (PDT)
Walt wrote:
> Maybe this weekend -- if it doesn't rain.  I've gotta
> do something to get out of my photo phunk.  :-[

Walt, I think part of the problem is that you are trying to take
pictures for the sake of taking pictures.  For this, you need to
step back and take a breather.  You have other hobbies and
intersts (like guns and SSRs).  Photograph them!  You have a
nice collection of things that go bang and things that go vroom.
 Why not try and capture new views of them in ways that you've
never done before.  Like a picture of your SSR shooting out the
barrel of a gun.

Start by taking the PJ shots.  You know, the ones that would
look good on the bottom of tomorrow's bird-cage.  Then once
you've got the shutter-release warmed up start experimenting
around.  Do you have a reversing ring?  Why not reverse a
fisheye on a 50mm lens for unique macro shots.  Just start doing
things you've never done before.  In the meanwhile, try and
capture the "emotion" in your other interests.  Guns interest
you.  Why?  Use pictures to tell the story.  I don't think
you've shot the diffinitive picture of your love of firearms.

What you may need to break the photographic funk is to refocus
(pun intended) your energies on the other hobbies, but try and
present them to the world in other ways.  Blogging might help.
A blog on your life might be good for a laugh or two. <grin>
Illustrate it with pictures.

To break the funk, remember, it's NOT about the
photography--it's the subject.  Let the subject speak through
your photography.  Driving around looking for pretty trees and
flowers while imposing a 500 yard limit just isn't going to cut
it.

If all that doesn't work, may I suggest a workshop?  I have one
spot still open in the September Isle Royale trip.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com