[OM] Re: OT - energy efficient cars

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - energy efficient cars
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 11:39:16 -0700

>There must be diesels and diesels. I have read a couple of comparison
>tests between high fuel efficiency gasoline models, VW TDs and
>hybrids. The VW diesels seem to be the worst of the lot, slower than
>the other two options and worse fuel efficiency. In this country with
>diesel fuel out pricing gasoline and a Toyota Echo getting more miles
>per gallon(only in the high thirties) there seems to be no argument
>for diesel cars at all even assuming I could buy one in California
>where the diesel is not clean enough to be sold.

Not my personal experience at all. My daughter's TDI beetle gets over 50
mpg and accelerates fine. B99 biodiesel sells locally for 30 cents a
gallon cheaper than regular unleaded. ($3.25 and $3.55) B20 is 5-10
cents a gallon cheaper than unleaded. There is a large number of hybrids
here, per capita perhaps higher than most places. I think it is a status
thing as mileage isn't that great. Typical driving here doesn't favor a
hybrid while a diesel shines. Besides up front premium price hybrids
also have lots of costs loaded towards later in their lifespan when the
batteries wear out. Actually the latest hot seller here is full electric
vehicles. <http://www.gemcar.com/>

Mike