[OM] Re: Dust solutions [was Spent time with the Dark Side]

Subject: [OM] Re: Dust solutions [was Spent time with the Dark Side]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 02:40:04 -0700
Wayne S wrote:
> <snip>
> The ionizer requires the proper polarity be put forward. So, which polarity
> was suppose to be pointed forward? negative or positive? And is the dust
> negatively charged?
The ionizers actually put out both + and - ions. There is no way to know
which are being targeted. And possible that both are involved in some
situations.
> If positive electrode and negatively charge dust, the
> positive ions may stick to the negative dust, making it neutral.
Yes, and the reverse, as well.
> If negative electrode and negative charge dust, maybe it causes the material
> (tape, AA
> filter, vinyl record) to become negatively charge and repel the dust???

Doesn't work that way. Except for those attracted to an opposite charge,
the ions just float around until they lose their charge through other
natural causes (see also below). They aren't attracted to neutral things.
> So who is the science major here who can properly explain this dust thing?

Just did what I could, based on my physics and chem studies a very long
time ago.
> Maybe an ionizer can be embedded in the camera, with specially charge
> collector plates to attract and capture the dust?

More likely might be an ionizer and sticky tape on the bottom of the
chamber, sort of like the E-thingies. Once the dust loses its static
charge, it won't be attracted to the plates. Might not even need to be
electrical. I have a little thingie I used to clip on the head of tone
arms which has a tiny source of ionizing radiation, which is shielded
except for a hole one points at the dust brush.

Back when I had a photo lab at work, we used a large ionizer to keep
dust out of the air. Put a paper towel down in front of it and it would
start turning black fairly quickly as the dust particles fell from the
air. I've still got that thing somewhere, maybe I should have it running
when I clean the sensor to keep new particles from being interested in
going in and sticking.

Moose