[OM] Re: What's up on this list???

Subject: [OM] Re: What's up on this list???
From: "Johann Thorsson" <johann@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 10:39:30 -0700
I am a total newcomer to this list, but I have seen many cases of what you
describe on other lists.  This "OT" tendency is not necessarily bad, it is
more like the "law of nature", all specialized discussion lists/forums seem
to go through the same process.  First there are lot of "technical" and
"on-topic" issues being brought up and discussed.  Over time participants
start to know each other and friendship evolves.  That leads to "off-topic"
discussions, which slowly take more or less over as most of the active
members have all their tech questions answered.  This is not a bad thing,
and I like lists where there is friendly "OT" atmosphere.

One of the first things I did after subscibing was to create a new rule in
my email program which filters all "OT" headers from the rest so I can
easily spot what might be of more interest to me.  It is easy to do.  If you
are bothered by the "OT" discussion, that might be something you could
consider.

I want to thank you guys for this list, I have really enjoyed reading what
you have been posting, both Off and and On Topic.