[OM] Re: Protective Filters

Subject: [OM] Re: Protective Filters
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 16:04:17 -0500

> Say you've got a UV filter on a 28-70 on an OM-1.  Say you then want to
> use a Polariser on that lens.  Do you take the UV filter off first, or
> just stack them ?  The blurb from the UV filter says " it reduces the
> excess bluishness the frequently occurs in outdoor colour photography."
> However the polariser tends to heighten blues in the sky and make cloud
> bolder.  Will they cancel out to some extent ?

It will cancel out sharpness and increase flare.

Never stack filters, as the possibilities of degraded images increases a
lot.

to put my iron in the first fire, I never use UV or protective filters. If I
need some haze reduction, such as I will in the area around Santa Fe next
month, I use an 81A or such. It is especially valuable at higher altitudes.
Otherwise, with color film, it's a polarizer if required, otherwise I go
commando, so to speak.

With B&W, I frequently use a yellow or red filter. Ggenerally, I use filters
more with B&W than with color. For protection, I use a hood. I find the
rubber hoods especially helpful. The tunnel-like hoods with the Xpan are
especially nice in both protection and flare reduction.

Tulip hoods are, in my opinion, a benefit only to the manufacturer that
wants to save a few grams of plastic pellets, and to the photographer that
demands reversability over effectiveness.

Bill Pearce