[OM] Re: A not so favorable report on PC Inspector Smart Recovery

Subject: [OM] Re: A not so favorable report on PC Inspector Smart Recovery
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 13:03:48 -0800
AG Schnozz wrote:
> Does anybody else find this to be rather disturbing?  Was this
> just a one-time quirk of the 5D or is this a normal
> design-flaw--you know, like prematuraly opening the CF door
> while it is still writing?

It's probably the same flaw/feature  :-) as the CF door opening thing. I
do see the CF door thing as a flaw, but haven't personally lost anything
to it yet. Nothing beeps, but there is that bright red flashing light
right near the door that may have saved me when I didn't remember.
> I shudder to think that it would be this easy to corrupt a CF
> card.  No Canon-bashing, just highly concerned as I prematuraly
> shut-off my cameras or open the CF doors while file writing
> maybe once a month.

I've never had a problem with the 5D for the simple reason that I never
turn the camera off. I have it set to go to sleep mode quickly, since
the time from sleep to shot is almost imperceptible. So it's like using
an OM, just raise it to the eye and shoot and shoot.

I did turn it off a few days ago, as that's how one ends the mirror up
and shutter open cleaning mode. Otherwise, it hasn't been off for many
months.

I suppose having it in sleep mode rather than with the switch turned off
may have some tiny effect on battery life, but I haven't noticed it. For
whatever reason, I've always turned the 300D off and when I turned it on
and used it a couple of days ago, the battery was down about half way,
so they apparently do slowly self discharge

Moose