[OM] Re: Newby Intro + Zuiko prime lens question

Subject: [OM] Re: Newby Intro + Zuiko prime lens question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 00:05:00 -0800
Jeff Keller wrote:
> I've personally seen that serial no. 1,091xxx is labeled ZUIKO MC
> AUTO-S. Serial no. 1,139xxx is labeled ZUIKO AUTO-S.
>
> Unfortunately I don't think everyone who took part in the lens survey
> reported the nomenclature completely.  Serial no. 1,013,8xx appears to
> have been carefully reported and lists ZUIKO MC Auto-S. Serial no.
> 1,130,xxx also appears to have been reported carefully as ZUIKO
> AUTO-S.
>
> The transition from ZUIKO MC AUTO-S to ZUIKO AUTO-S appears to have
> occured between 1,013,xxx and 1,130,xxx
As mentioned below, I'm not sure whether the question of nomenclature is
the same as the one of internal design.

usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> -jeff So the Zuiko Auto-S designation correlates with the slightly sharper
> version or is that just a function of the serial number?

I think you raise a key question here, Mike. In the early days of the
list, there was a great deal of research and lively discussions on these
topics. I wasn't here, but when I joined, I did some browsing through
archives.

As I recall, the best knowledge at the time was that the final actual
internal version of the 50/1.4 began at about 1,085,000. Whether Jeff's
MC marked 1,091,xxx alters that would have to depend on location and
colors of reflections (and possibly other differences discerned back
then?). There are other examples where underlying design differences
didn't track exactly with labeling and I believe the old work ignored
the MC marking in attempting to determine when the designs changed.

Moose