[OM] OM-2n exposure needle problem?

Subject: [OM] OM-2n exposure needle problem?
From: "Lukasz Grabun" <lgrabun@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 20:54:37 +0100
Hello there,

it's my very first post here though it's been few months since I
subscribed and followed the list. I am relatively new photography and very
new to OM system (two weeks!). However, I've been shooting digital Olympus
camera E-1 for more than a year now, using mostly old M42 manual lenses.

Here's my story.

Few days ago I tested my OM-2n. Generally, it looks fine and OK-ish but
one thing seems to be broken - the lightmeter.

I was shooting in AUTO mode. Having shot a number of pictures with f/1.8 I
tried to slow down the lens to f/16 (the maximum aperture). The viewfinder
lightmeter indicated something about one second exposure time. It was no
problem since I had a tripod with me and the camera was already mounted on
so I just pressed the button. The shutter was opened for *definetely* less
than one second. I'd say it was 1/30 or 1/60 rather; I thought to myself,
a-ha, something's fishy around here. It looked like as if the camera's
mechanism couldn't set proper shutter mode. I switched to manual mode and
make a shot. The image in the viewfinder was darkend for an about one
second - which was, as I thought, as long as it should be. For the rest of
the roll I used manual mode almost exlusively, being afraid that AUTO mode
would spoil the pictures.

I had the film developed today. To my great surprise most of my manually
set frames were overexposed whereas those taken in AUTO mode - even though
the needle indicated time ten times longer than one would judge by
listening to the sound of shutter - are properly exposed.

Here's a sample: the first shot was taken with f/1.8 and corresponding
time in AUTO mode, f/16 was used on the second one and even though
lightmeter indicated a time of 1 second the shutter was opened for
noticably shorter time (still AUTO mode). The last picture was exposed in
the manual mode. As you can see, even though I conformed to the lightmeter
indications, the shot is badly overexposed.

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/4802/exposure8xb.jpg

The lens is fine - it has been tested with OM-20 I had bought before and
the results are more than good.

Can anyone give me a hint on what's wrong with the camera?

--
Łukasz Grabuń
http://grabun.com/