[OM] Re: New Person to the group

Subject: [OM] Re: New Person to the group
From: Allen Coltrin <hjlantern@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 12:44:26 -0800

Actually I was refering to the 500/8 with a 2x converter to get 1000.> Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2007 11:58:28 -0800> From: olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> To:
olympus@xxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [OM] Re: New Person to the group> > Allen Coltrin
wrote:> > This is just what I really want. The Oly 500mm or 1000mm> > > Those
are wildly different creatures. The 500/8 is a mirror lens of > modest size and
weight which focuses in the normal way. The 1000/11 is a > heavy monster with
external rack and pinion focusing.> > The 500 is relatively easy to use. The
1000 requires very careful > technique to reach it's potential. If you look at
Gary's lens tests, you > will see that the 600 and 1000 mm Zuikos don't look
that great. even > though he used them on a heavy tripod with it's legs frozen
into the ice > of a rink. He later posted that further experience showed him
that these > lenses were capable of excellent resolution with proper technique,
> including vibration damping. He said it was difficult to do.> >
 At f8, the 500 is still in the realm of possibility for focus with > something
like an E-500 in decent light. At f11, I suspect the 1000 > would be difficult
to focus in anything other than very good light.> > I believe most great
wildlife shots with long MF lenses have been made > by prefocusing on a
location where the subject is known to show up, then > waiting to catch the
moment. AF lenses are a different story.> > Moose> >
http://www.zuikoholic.com> List nannies: olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Life is complicated.  Sharing yours shouldn’t be.  Meet Muse.
http://muse.live.com?source=wlmailtag&loc=us