[OM] Defining a look

Subject: [OM] Defining a look
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 10:39:08 -0800 (PST)
How do you define or describe "a look"? When is a camera capable of
achieving something beyond the specifications or your expectations?

This is a question I have often pondered.  My A1 is heading off to
Sony for a sensor replacement and I've been looking over images taken
with it wondering if I should just replace the camera with something
different.

Something strange happens each time I do this.  I see "a look" with
the camera which is very unique and unusual.  This is the ONLY small
or medium format camera I've ever used which is able to achieve a 4x5
look.  Part of it is the image h/w ratio, but there is something else
going on too.  DOF?  Possible.  Response curves and dynamic range?
Again, possible.

Here are examples:

http://image66media.com/Gallery/GC01/gc2004_10
http://image66media.com/Gallery/GC01/gc2004_06
http://image66media.com/Gallery/GC01/gc2004_11
http://image66media.com/Gallery/IsleRoyale01/PICT2456163
http://www.image66media.com/articles.html

When shot side-by-side with my E-1 for landscape work, the A1
achieves a different image. Just as 35mm gives you a different look
than 4x5.  The E-1 is a cross between 35mm and 645, whereas the
A1--even with the smaller sensor gives a look more like a 6x7 or 4x5.

To be fair, though, these characteristics have been attainable with
the outstanding RawShooter converter, but there's something going on
which I cannot explain.

Have others noted a simularity with their 2/3" cameras?  Am I smokin
my shorts again?  Have I inadvertantly stumbled upon a
camera/converter combination that exceeds anything the designers ever
imagined?  Is there a dog?

AG