[OM] Re: What the function of this button on the P1?

Subject: [OM] Re: What the function of this button on the P1?
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 01:29:48 -0600
Joel Wilcox wrote:

> On 3/10/07, Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Most people here think a suspicious construction is anything made by
>> Canon. :)
>> Andrew Fildes
>> afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> You're being partly facetious, I think, but I'm really sorry if I've
> contributed to that in any way.  It is exactly analogous, as Steve
> Dropkin recently noted, to the platform warfare that continues to
> flare up.  I'd really like to have a D5, but I've been getting such
> good value for my pesos from Oly that it hasn't drifted to the top of
> my to-do list.  A D5 is still a chunk of change.

I spend half my day on Windows and half on a Mac (I really should
spend more time on items other than computers, but that's life right
now). I declared my preference by buying a Mac, but I wouldn't want
either brand to take over the world.

I happened into Olympus purely by accident. I had to buy a camera,
knew I wanted something better than a wonderbrick, and ran across my
OM-1 in a thrift store for something like $10. I think it was there
because the back door wouldn't latch, the light seals were gooey,
and the folks who price such things there didn't recognize the
brand. I figured at that price I couldn't lose, so I bought it, had
it CLAd, and it's been fine since. I have grown to love the
ergonomics, the size, the quality of the optics.

But I don't have the huge investment in bodies/lenses/accessories
that some/most of you have. From that perspective, I don't really
have a dog in this fight (or maybe that's an ox to gore). My earlier
posting was just an observation that as much as we jibe each other
about camera platforms (OM aside), we do the same thing with
computer platforms. It's been interesting to read the comments since
I posted and see people realize that the way they make their point
can be taken quite differently than they intended. 'Nuff said on my
part.

> I think February and early March must be difficult months in both
> hemispheres.  When spring comes here, I suspect people will be too
> busy shooting to fight.  I hope so.

Cabin fever. :-)

A question, much simpler this time. If Northern Hemisphere residents
(Murkins, at least) refer to Australia, New Zealand, and close
geographical entities as "Down Under", do Australians, New
Zealanders, etc. have a colloquial reference for Europe or the U.S.?
Please keep the answers clean :-)

Steve