[OM] Re: Clint

Subject: [OM] Re: Clint
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 00:11:57 -0400
At 10:46 PM 3/27/2007, ScottGee1 wrote:

>We apparently talked to different people at C@non.

Chuck Westphal (spelling is probably incorrect) is the one that says
that they never calibrate a body/lens to each other.

>The person with whom I spoke is at the service department in New
>Jersey.  He made it very clear that the only way they could guarantee
>that lenses work with bodies is to calibrate them at the same time.
>He said either could be checked individually to make sure it met
>specs, but ideally they need to be checked together.  Perhaps he was
>speaking out of school rather than toting the official line.

Or, maybe he's failing to follow prescribed procedures.  It wouldn't
be the first time that a "worker bee" thought that he knew of a
better way than the person writing the procedure.  (Sometimes they're
even right.)

>The issue is one of tolerances.  If the lens is at one end of the
>curve and the body at the other, back or front focus is the logical
>result.

I don't think that's the logical result - if the tolerances have been
correctly specified.

>A couple members of the Fred Miranda forum ended up sending their
>entire kits to C@non to make sure everything was calibrated together
>and reported distinct improvement in performance.

I don't think anything about that conflicts with the bodies and
lenses being independently calibrated.

In any case it's good to know that you got the information straight
from New Jersey.  I've seen lots of speculation that Canon would
calibrate the two together but this is first time I've seen someone
say that they got the info straight from the horse's mouth.  Seems
that sometimes there's better info here than on the Canon
forums.  :-)  And, I'll keep this in mind before I quote Chuck again.

Later,
Johnny

Johnny Johnson
Cleveland, GA