[OM] Re: OT: a few Mac questions

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: a few Mac questions
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 06:24:29 +0100
Bill

Trust me, you don't need to know any of this.  I have just looked up
what "kill" does and Dan's fiddling has been quite superfluous for a
machine that you would own and on which you would instal applications
and other files yourself.  I had not realised properly that Dan was
fiddling with someone else's computer ...

... I am learning my machines (iMac and MacBook) all the time and
"kill" was not something that I needed to know.  I rarely use
Terminal and it is never to fiddle with the OS, only to manipulate
SQL users.

Chris

~~ >-)-
C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.
www.threeshoes.net & homepage.mac.com/zuiko

On 4 Apr 2007, at 04:24, Bill Pearce wrote:

> I thought mac's were supposed to be easy for the novice to use.
>> I don't think you understood me.
>
> The following seems very complex:
>
>> "Force quite" works just fine. You NEVER want to use -9 as your first
>> attempt to kill something! That may well be causing all sorts of
>> other
>> problems! "kill -9" is an unconditional process termination, without
>> closing open files and network connections. If you "-9" a video
>> player, most likely the video file still has an open file descriptor
>> in the buffer pool, and may have problems when you try to re-open it,
>> or as a minimum will hold system resources that should be freed.
>> Do it
>> enough times, and things will slow to a crawl until you re-start.

snip