[OM] Re: Quantum T series flashes - anyone with experience?

Subject: [OM] Re: Quantum T series flashes - anyone with experience?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 15:31:04 -0400
I'm curious as to why you want an expensive portable flash unit for
static use on a light stand.

I have a friend who has one but it rarely gets used.  He bought it, was
enamored of it for several months as an on-camera flash but now seems to
have abandoned it but I don't know why.  For a portable light on a stand
he normally chooses his old Lumiquest.  Only 3 power levels available
(50, 100, 200 watt seconds) but 95% of the time only 50 and 100 are
actually used.  But that's shooting at ISO 400 with a 5D.  If whatever
you're using is too grainy or noisy at ISO 400 then you may need
additional power. When using the Lumedyne, intermediate power levels are
easily accommodated by slight variance in the distance from flash to
subject.  Incidentally, the power output of a Lumedyne on 100 watt
seconds is almost exactly the same as a T-32 on full power.  The Quantum
T2 has a guide number of 160 so it's really not much more powerful than
a T-45 or a pair of T-32's.

For a portable light on a stand I normally choose either one or two
T-32's with a Quantum Y cable attached to an SP Systems Quantum
compatible battery pack.  If I need to travel really light and can
afford the recycle time I'll leave the cables and power pack behind.
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/gear/Umbrella%20adapter%20mounted%20on%20tripod%20%232.jpg>
If I need more lights or more power than that I'll use my Alien Bees and
use my homemade battery pack with true sine wave inverter.
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/gear/Powerpack%20for%20Bees.jpg>
Mini backpack, 12 volt battery in the bottom, recharger in the middle
and inverter and three way power tap at the top.  A single Alien Bee
B800 would put out quite a bit more light than the Quantum T2.

Anyhow, I'm curious.  Nothing wrong with Quantums.  They're the cat's
meow and very tough.  But what decided you on this course?

Chuck Norcutt