[OM] Re: Going to the dark side of the force... no, not *that* dark side

Subject: [OM] Re: Going to the dark side of the force... no, not *that* dark side, another one !
From: Larry <halpert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 19:45:09 -0400
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> There are tests and tests. I would say that your complaint about the
> dpreview.com review is unfounded for the following reasons:
>
> Everyone's F1.4 normal lens have similar limitations. They are fast
> lenses after all. Asking for the F1.7 to compete against the 1.4s is
> unreasonable. It might be acceptable if the others used their F1.8 or
> F2 lenses.

The 5D example in the pointed out dpreview test happened to be a 85mm
f/1.8 a flatter field, sharper lens than the Pentax 50mm f1.4 (and its
being 75mm equivalent due to crop factor.
> If you read the resolution figures carefully the horizontal
> resolution of the 10D was limited by moire not the lens, at least the
> way I understand it.
No, moire is a separate issue due to a weaker anti-aliasing filter in
the vertical axis compared to horizontal - unusual as that may be.
> the D80 has more resolution
 Again due to the way he conducted the test it is skewed that way, and
is the reverse in imaging resource, photozone, etc. using imatest. There
is simply a substantial amount of uncontrollable noise reduction on the
D80 (on RAW) therefore less detail and more smeariness.
> and does
> not have the moire problem in the test.
Yes, there is a stronger anti-aliasing filter in the D80.

>  Perhaps Sony will allow the
> specification of different filtration by their customers, or maybe
> there is a way to deal with the moire in the processing chip and that
> would account for the difference.

For those that actually see this in their photos, an option in firmware
to up the anti-aliasing would be interesting. Already there were a
number of additional features, AF, and IQ tweaks in the various firmware
updates since the DPreview test acknowledged in some of the newer tests.
> I think obsessing over 200 lines in a frame is a little on the silly
> side. It will be virtually invisible in even a very large print and
> other factors will be more important in how it looks. So just enjoy
> your fine camera. They all have areas where they excel and areas that
> their competitors hit it a little better.

Very true.