[OM] Contrast (OT, sorta)

Subject: [OM] Contrast (OT, sorta)
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 22:59:06 -0400
Interesting . . . unable to maintain my anti-rubbernecking vows, I
have been back to Dpreview.com several times to scan the Canon,
Nikon, and Olympus discussion groups. An interesting trend is emerging.

The Olympus DSLR group appears to be enjoying a group orgasm about
the new 410 and 510. These people, by and large, are genuinely
psyched about the performance they're witnessing. Lots of gushing.
Some cautionary stuff and the usual quota of blowhards. But all in
all, very upbeat, with a lot of stuff along the lines of: "Wow! If
the E-3 is better than the 510, I'll never have to buy another camera
again!" And: "Who needs an E-3? The 510 is everything I ever wanted."
Natch, you take it for what it's worth.

But, alas, there's trouble in Canon Paradise. The discussion group
for the high-end DSLRs is replete with a lot of wailing and gnashing
of teeth over real and perceived problems plaguing the new 1D MkIII.
Autofocus seems to be a particular problem. And there's enough there
to suggest Canon might have a real headache. Normally, new products
get razzed by all sorts of people looking for a brief flash of glory
(and who apparently aren't getting satisfactory pictures of their
cats), but the MkIII is taking a particularly hard beating. And it's
getting worse as the days go by.

Not that there isn't some praise as well. And frankly, if the camera
actually winds up living up to its billing, it's going to be hard to
resist. Except for the money, of course. <g>

So Oly folks are in their joy, and Canon folks are down in the dumps.
Nikon folks seem to be wandering in the desert, awaiting the much
anticipated upgrade to the D200 and the full frame D3x.

It really is nice to spend time with this bunch, were only the
occasional foray into LaLa Land occurs, and for the most part people
are reasonably sane about the devices with which they take their
pictures.

--Bob