[OM] Re: Nikon releases D3, D300

Subject: [OM] Re: Nikon releases D3, D300
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 17:17:35 -0700
Tim Hughes wrote:
> Going with "only" 12MP they keep pixels large, which helps quite a lot with
> noise. Maybe that is
> partly why they can claim such high ISO?  Typical tradeoff: better ISO perf
> vs Resolution

That's my assumption, and a mighty fine idea, too. I hope they succeed.
An end to the mp wars is much to be desired, as far as I'm concerned. If
a big time pro camera can succeed based on overall IQ, not just mp
count, maybe it will trickle down the market.

I'm betting the replacements for both my P&Ss will have lower IQ than
the ones they replace. In both cases, it appears that they have simply
added mps to the existing sensor size and a couple of bells and whistles
that don't have any effect on IQ. And bumped up the NR, of course.

I think most, if not all, current non SLR digicams would be
significantly improved by lowering the mp count.

Moose