[OM] Re: [OT] little rant on e-mail politeness

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] little rant on e-mail politeness
From: Doug <dhsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 15:06:24 -0400
On Friday, August 24, 2007 10:07, iwert bernakiewicz wrote:
> Just have to write this of me...
>
> I have some things for sale at a local "bay-a-like".
>
> I get a mail, without header, just plain:
>
> "don't you have item X anymore?????"
>
> Where item X is not amng my listings, no greetings, no hello, hi, no
> please could you tell me, no nothing, not even a name (which one has
> to guess from the cryptic e-mail address). This is just plain blunt.
> And I do understand the meaning of a question mark, one is enough
> please...
By blunt you mean rude and obnoxious.
This sort of abrasive personality isn't unique to the web. I've been  around
the public all my adult life and this sort, in various disguises, has always
been around.  Every manager that has had to deal with the public has certain
"favorite" customers that are "difficult." If I feel I can get away with it I
give it right back to them, if I don't feel I can I go right by the book.
These people are either ignorant or have always tried to get there way by
being the loudest and most obnoxious. They tend to get some of what they want
because people will do anything to make them go away.

> Never heard from the person either. Last week I got a mail from
> somebody that he had bought the "exact same item" for 10% of my
> price... Well, what's that to do with me, why even bother me with this
> message? I am NOT interested in this information. I won't reply to
> these people, it just puts me off.

My reply to that has been always of the form' "thats for letting me know about
such an outstanding deal. Would you please arrange for me to by 10 or 100 or
what ever number." They shut right up.

> Maybe I still must be happy he didn't USE ALL CAPS for his mail...
>
> So, rant has been, breathe deaply, back to work...
>
> iwert.

I always try to remember that a**holes must be limited or you wouldn't notice
them so much. On the other hand about the time you think you've run into all
the a**holes in the world on more shows up.