[OM] List Lapdog's Software Stance

Subject: [OM] List Lapdog's Software Stance
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 07:51:51 -0800 (PST)
When a person wants to drive around in a fancy new car, he/she must
pay for it.  If that person is unwilling or unable to pay for it, the
choices are to buy something he/she can afford or to take public
transportation.  Ford/GM/Toyota/Honda/Etc all overcharge for their
cars.  In fact, the average SUV has over $8000 USD in profit built
into the price.

If you, the consumer, don't like the prices of vehicles, you always
have options that do not include Grand Theft Auto.

In the world of software, you can subsitute Adobe for Ford, Microsoft
for GM and Toyota for Apple.  As much as I'd like to have the
latest/greatest version of Photoshop, I can't afford it any more than
I can afford a new Toyota 4Runner.

What does one do?  This is where the alternatives come in.  Nobody is
FORCED to use Photoshop.  Nobody is FORCED to use Microsoft.  Nobody
is FORCED to us Apple.  We have options.

There is a very large and powerful Open-Source world out there.  Get
yourself the latest version of Ubuntu.  That'll stick it to
Microsoft.  Get the latest version of Open Office. That'll stick it
to Microft too!  Get the latest version of The GIMP.  That'll stick
it to Adobe.  There are plenty of alternatives out there IF you are
willing to be honest with yourself and accept that you don't NEED to
either support or steal from others.

I buy software too.  But when looking at features/price, I make
determinations of what I NEED from what I WANT.  To get the
latest/greatest version of Photoshop may fulfill a few WANTS, but by
no means is it needed.  My budget does not allow for the purchase of
CS3, but I was able to buy Photoshop Elements and in combination with
THE GIMP, I'm perfectly able to do whatever I want and need.

Those who steal software do so out of laziness and greed. A few
minutes spent with google search will yield open-source or low-cost
alternatives for almost anything.

Not everybody needs to drive brand new Toyota 4Runners.

AG (lapdog) Schnouzzer

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs