[OM] Re: focus and ? about lens filters

Subject: [OM] Re: focus and ? about lens filters
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:19:19 -0600
> "Digitial specific" filters certainly sounded? very fishy at first.
> Wonder if Dr. Reflection is still a list member.

I'm not him, and don't even play one on television. That won't keep my mouth
shut.

Initially, I too was a skeptic. I didn't believe about digital filters (and
still don't believe in digital tripods), but my mind could be changed. As I
understand it, the internal reflections in a lens are more a problem in
digital than in film, as the surface of the sensor and/or anti-ailiasing
filter are more reflective than film. Therefore, AR coating is required on
all surfaces. Lens elements are coated on both surfaces, but some thrifty
filter makers only coat the front surface.

True or urban legend? Has more substance than digital headphones.

Bill Pearce