[OM] Re: focus and ? about lens filters

Subject: [OM] Re: focus and ? about lens filters
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:49:00 -0800
Bill Pearce wrote:
> .... As I understand it, the internal reflections in a lens are more a
> problem in digital than in film, as the surface of the sensor and/or
> anti-ailiasingfilter are more reflective than film.
I don't know why, but people who talk about this tend to forget another
important factor. Film was never really very flat, compared to the new
digi thingies. That makes a big difference for reflections in addition
to higher reflectivity. Take a look at the reflections from the front
surface of the 5D sensor pack next time you clean it, then put a piece
of spare film in a film body and take a look. Very different.

And why don't they put AR coatings on the front of the sensor
assemblies? There must be a good reason, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Moose