[OM] Re: OT What lenses for the D3? [was 14 is the new 12]

Subject: [OM] Re: OT What lenses for the D3? [was 14 is the new 12]
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 01:18:17 -0500
Moose,

I can answer this. I have a Kodak 14n, the fullframe Nikon-mount D-SLR made
several yrs ago by Kodak. I have had, and used, my 14n for nearly four years
and used it with the following AF-Nikkor lenses: 24mm f2.8, 28mm f2.8, 50mm
f1.4, and 85mm f1.8. All of them have been excellent lenses all the way to
the corners, at least at the apertures I use. I rarely shoot wide open with
this camera, instead using midrange to small apertures mostly since I used
the camera mainly for landscapes and old buildings. I have never used any
Canon lenses or cameras but I know on Dpreview a lot of people seemed to say
that Nikon's wides were generally better than Canons, which is why so many
people are using old Zuiko lenses on the fullframe Canon bodies. I never
heard any complaints on the Kodak SLR forum there about Nikon's lenses on
the 14n and SLR/n. My personal experience bears this out. I've only used
primes, so I cant comment on Nikon's zooms.

These projects were shot entirely with the fullframe 14n using the Nikon
primes mentioned above. The corners look very sharp to me. I know judging a
web-size image is hard but I have seen Canon 5D shots that looked soft in
the corners even online.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com/fine_art/portfolio/medora/index.htm

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com/fine_art/portfolio/pulaski/index.htm

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com/fine_art/portfolio/neighbor/index.htm

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com/fine_art/portfolio/st-rd-18/index.htm

I'd get a D3 if I had the money; the image quality at high ISO is impressive
and I would do a lot with it, and I know the Nikon lenses can handle it just
fine.
--
Chris Crawford
Photography & Graphic Design