[OM] Re: Back to: Some interesting commentary on sensor size, pixel pitc

Subject: [OM] Re: Back to: Some interesting commentary on sensor size, pixel pitch and resolution
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 10:16:21 -0700

On / April 20, 2008 CE, at 2:41 AM, Moose wrote:

> Michael Reichmann is another opinionated guy who writes based on his
> own
> experience without regard for what others may think. Sometimes I agree
> with him, sometimes I don't. But I'm seldom bored and I often know
> more
> after reading him than before.

That is about where I am with Reichmann. He is always interesting and
even if I don't agree sometimes I respect what he has to say because
he is a guy with great skills, experience and thoughtfulness. I have
learned a lot from him.

> Mike Johnston? I have no idea what he sees in much of the
> photography he
> likes. A fair amount of it looks like crap I'd dump if it were mine.
> But
> there are obviously others who see that something I don't, and not
> just
> his readers, but print and book buyers. So I read his blog, figuring
> one
> day I may 'get' it - or not.

I have begun to drift away from his blog for some of the same reasons.
I think that part of the problem with him and some of his guests like
Ctein is that they seem to be just discovering digital and seem to be
behind the curve. Too many times there is a 'gee whiz look what I
discovered and this is what it is all about' character to information
that is really basic. The other thing about Johnston, unlike
Reichmann,  is that he no longer seems to be doing photography much
except for around the house and a few shots of family. He is just
writing about it.

While I don't always like his opinions of photography either,
occasionally one of his web site choices are really good. Many of his
book choices are for very expensive, out of print books with price
histories and collection recommendations and I have wondered if he
conflates collector rarity with fine photographic work. No matter. I
am more in the mode of simplification and getting rid of things rather
than collecting.