[OM] Recommendations for compact digital camera

Subject: [OM] Recommendations for compact digital camera
From: Mike Bloor <admin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 09:44:33 +0000
Does anyone have recommendations for a compact digital "point and shoot" ?

I am trying to replace my wife's Canon Powershot.  What she would like is -

- A smaller, lighter camera.
- Preferably one that runs on AA batteries or similar.  If it has a
custom, rechargeable battery, we would have to be able to buy a spare.
- One without appreciable shutter lag.  This is the main fault of her
current camera.
- A zoom lens going to the equivalent of 28mm (on 35mm film) at the wide end.
- A decent viewfinder - or do these cameras not have viewfinders
anymore and just rely on the screen on the back.
- Video recording with sound - or do they all have this.
- Some manual control.  The Powershot is quite good for this.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received,

Mike Bloor