Re: [OM] OT - question re anti-virus program

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - question re anti-virus program
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 09:53:08 -0500
I can't tell you about the present products but I gave up on McAfee and
Norton Antivirus products about 4 years ago.  Slowness was one of their
more desirable features.  :-)

I've been using AVG for the last couple of years but it too seems to be
becoming more intrusive.  My computer is almost unusable for the first 2
or 3 minutes after the first boot of the day because AVG is churning the
disk mercilessly.  I have no idea what it's doing but it does hundreds
of thousands of I/O operations in a short period of time.  It then goes
quiet but wakes up at odd moments a couple of times/day for a few
seconds of thrash the disk.  When it finally comes time to do a virus
scan for the day it's so resource intensive that the computer is nearly
unusable even after I click its lower priority switch.  I've given to
giving it a start time after I've gone to bed and let it shut down the
machine afterwards.  Since I can do other things for the first few
minutes after the morning boot and can sleep while it's doing the virus
scan none of these shenanigans have caused me to think seriously yet
about replacing it but it could be getting to that point.  I just wish I
knew exactly what it was doing and why.

Chuck Norcutt