Re: [OM] Peter Lik again

Subject: Re: [OM] Peter Lik again
From: ws <omls@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 22:31:06 -0500
Well, you should go see for yourself rather than speculate on what
is possible. I don't disagree with the dynamic range limit of Velvia film,
but in the end it is the presentation that matters. The images had
impressive range in their presentation. I trust my first hand experience
over the theory. Maybe Velvia has limited range, but I cannot
produce the blacks and the whites I saw at the gallery. I felt I
could reach out and touch the scene. They brought the scene
to you in a way you felt you were there.  Perhaps that is why he is
so successful. He has worked very well with the limits of film and
print to create something very extra ordinary.

When I get my Velvia film processed and view the film, it looks
really good. 5-stops or not. Just because the film range is 5 stops
does not mean the presentation has to be only 5 stops. If you take
a lot of today's digital camera images, with 8-9 stops of range, they can
all look very flat. Being very selective can have its benefits, when
done right. But the lighting on the prints and the crystal archive
paper certainly felt like they displayed more than 4 stops.

If we over analyze something, we can dismiss it before even trying.

ws