[OM] Ball head lubricant

Subject: [OM] Ball head lubricant
From: James R <londonjames@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 11:18:23 +0000
Just thought I'd pass on that I've found graphite powder to work well
for this. I bought a tripod off the second hand shop in the sky and
the ball head that came with it was quite 'sticky'. Looking online
someone claimed WD40 was the cure, which I thought a dubious choice.
It didn't seem to do much.

I put on some graphite powder in small doses working it around over
about 20 mins (while watching a DVD - it's not that interesting) which
left the ball with a shiny surface and a much smoother action. It'll
wear off over time, as does the factory applied lubricant, but it
doesn't attract dirt, dust, etc.

As always try it at your own risk. I won't pay for laundering cream
sofas, white cats, etc - the powder gets everywhere.

James