Re: [OM] Question OM1 remote release

Subject: Re: [OM] Question OM1 remote release
From: "DrT \(George Themelis\)" <drt-3d@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 15:47:34 -0400
> The OM-1 has a mechanical linkage in the bottom of the camera that
> connects
> to a mechanical pin on the winder.

OK, I got it!  Cool! I was able to trigger the cameras with a little
screwdriver from the bottom.

> Most manufacturers had a different winder or drive for
> each camera model, but all of olympus's winders/motors work on all bodies!

Yes, it is clever.  Someone might claim that it is limited at the same time:
Cameras with an electrical shutter (OM2, OM4) can be triggered by just
making an electric contact (sorting two wires).  This is not an option with
Olympus. If one does not want to use the winder or motor drive (which adds
weight), he is forced to use a mechanical cable release, because there is no
provision for an electrical cable release (just two wires shorted by a
switch).  The mechanical cable release could shake the camera (at least in
theory, in high magnification or astrophotography applications).

I am curious to test how accurate the camera synchronization is, based on
this mechanical triggering.

George