Re: [OM] A new born baby

Subject: Re: [OM] A new born baby
From: Richard Man <richard.lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 23:47:05 -0700
I know Chinese too :-) I was born and raised in HK.

Yes, you are referring to the "became a moon (month)." "Westerners,"
or at least Americans, um, people of the United States of America,
generally do not have such tradition.

In English, we don't differentiate the difference between paternal or
maternal side, e.g. grandpa could be either, whereas in Cantonese, "Ya
ya" is different from "Kung Kung" etc.

So an Uncle is either your father or mom's brother, and there is no
different words for, well, Older Uncle, vs. Younger Uncle.

Nephew and nieces cover the offspring of uncles and aunts.

Everything else are "cousins" :-)

And congratulation to your brother's family.

--
// richard m: richard @imagecraft.com
// w: http://www.imagecraft.com/pub/Portfolio09/ blog: